In 1923, the Central Asian Shipping Company was established in Turkmenabad (formerly Chardjev). The ships of the shipping company transported household goods by water between the 10 provinces of Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan and Kazakhstan over a distance of up to 1,500-2,000 km.
In 1992, the Turkmenderya River was established by Presidential Decree, and in 1998 it was renamed the Turkmenderya Yollary Directorate. In 2003, it was renamed as the Deryayollary Production Association under the auspices of the Turkmendenizderyayollary Directorate. It is now called the Open Joint Stock Company "Deryayollary" of the “Turkmendenizderyayollary” Agency.“Derýaýollary” açyk görnüşli paýdarlar jemgyýetiniň resmi web sahypasy